Meet Glenda and Rory Hart, Co-Founders of the Canadian Birch Company. They create products from organic birch sap, tapping living trees, and crafting the world’s finest pure birch syrup. So delicious in fact that they spun it into an award-winning gourmet collection – named by the San Francisco Business Times as “new trend to watch”, been awarded Harvest of Excellence Innovative company of the year, and named as Chatelaine Magazine’s Product of the Year.
In this episode, Host Margaux Miller taps into the ins and outs of the birch syrup industry, inquiring into dealing with food products and getting into retailers, and garners advice for working with programs like the Scotiabank Women Initiative.
If you are starting a food based business and you want to skip some hurdles of learning the hard way – then be sure to catch this episode!
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- 0:33 Meet Glenda and Rory Hart, Co-Founders of the Canadian Birch Company
- 4:08 The History of Birch Syrup
- 11:20 Feedback and Craft Shows
- 15:00 Hurdles of Misinformation
- 19:07 Food Industry Loans and Investment
- 26:30 Balancing Responsibilities
- 29:30 SPEED ROUND
- 35:20 Food Inspection and Support
- 41:00 Trade Shows and Retail Stores
- 49:50 The Future of The Canadian Birch Company Ltd.
Follow Our Guest – And Let Them Know What You Learned From This Episode:
Find Your Start – Episode Resources Mentioned by Our Guest:
- Canadian Agriculture Loans Act (CALA)
- Women’s Enterprise Centre
- Red River North Community Futures
- Chef’s Association
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Food Development Centre (FDC in Portage la Prairie)
- Manitoba Agriculture
- Canadian Institute of Food Safety
Follow Start Canada Podcast – And Share What You Learned From This Episode:
- Facebook: @StartCanadaPodcast
- Instagram: @StartCanadaPodcast
- LinkedIn: @StartCanadaPodcast
- Twitter: @MargauxAMiller
- YouTube: @StartCanadaPodcast
Start Canada Podcast is supported by: