Host Margaux Miller speaks with Darcy Ataman, the founder and CEO of Make Music Matter – an organization using a unique form of music therapy to help survivors of conflict and trauma.
Darcy shares about his background as a music producer, what it’s like to start an international charity from the heart of Canada, and how his innovative program created and scaled in partnership with Nobel Laureate Dr. Denis Mukwege now operates in 8 countries around the world.
If you want to learn about starting an international charity, or the possibilities of using music for healing, then don’t miss this episode.
If you prefer video format, watch now on YouTube HERE or take us with you as you go by Subscribing Now wherever you get your podcasts.
Note: this episode contains stories about conflict and post-conflict zones and topics may be sensitive for some listeners.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- 0:33 Meet Darcy Ataman of Make Music Matter
- 9:20 Personal Strength and Focus
- 13:05 Research and Credibility
- 16:50 Funding Bootstrapping
- 19:10 Tips for Starting a Charity
- 25:00 For Profit Company A4A Records Operating Under the Charity
- 33:10 Defining Moments
- 36:34 SPEED ROUND
- 40:20 Working with a Nobel Laureate
- 44:30 Partnerships and Collaborations
- 50:45 Music as a Voice
Follow Our Guest – And Let Them Know What You Learned From This Episode:
- Instagram @_MakeMusicMatter_
- Twitter @mmm_org
- Facebook @MakeMusicMatter.org
- LinkedIn @Make-Music-Matter
Find Your Start – Episode Resources Mentioned by Our Guest:
- Song for Africa project – Album Link on Spotify
- Healing for Harmony – How it works
- Meritorious Service Cross
- Barack Obama’sBook: A Promised Land
- The Biography of Joseph Campbell
Follow Start Canada Podcast – And Share What You Learned From This Episode:
- Facebook: @StartCanadaPodcast
- Instagram: @StartCanadaPodcast
- LinkedIn: @StartCanadaPodcast
- Twitter: @MargauxAMiller
- YouTube: @StartCanadaPodcast
Start Canada Podcast is supported by: